svētdiena, 2009. gada 22. novembris

Danger Danger, High Voltage

Me and electrical goods have been having slight disagreements lately. About three weeks ago my apartment had a blackout and now and again the electricity would just cut off. I think it was because one of the sockets is a little dodgy, Usually this would nt be a problem but always seems to be when Im cooking and using the oven, I had to wait till 11 in the evening one night just to have an egg sandwich. The flat wasn't just struggling with electricity but the heating was on blink too, It was OK for me because Ive been going away and staying at other places which is lucky because for about five days we had no hot water neither.


But the worst was about to come.....since Ive been here evenings can be a little queit sometimes, without a laptop to keep me occupied I have to rely on the Four books that I brought, ( three down one more left) and the DVDS that i brought with me. Some classics (blade runner, The good, the Bad and the Ugly and some more of my favourite films. I was lucky enough to get a TV from the youth Center and I was given permission to borrow the centers DVD player in the evenings. It was a good time, Films a cup of Tea and some of the finest Oatmeal biscuits that Latvia can offer.......but that has come to pass, as the other day my Latvian TV.......died.
I was in the middle of watching a film in the morning and then i could hear this strange ticking and then I heard a soft boom the screen went blank and then smoke began to rise from the doomed Television set. I am still able to watch films in the evening at the center but that means that Ill have to remember to take the biscuits.

On the 18th of November It was the celebration of 91 years of Latvia's Independence. To celebrate there was a party being organized across the street from the center, we had to all dress smart and bring food. I got my party on with some potato salad mother fuckers.
During the afternoon the center was open and the boss thought that it would be a good idea to use the light installations which were made last week at the seminar. The light installations use multi coulured bulbs and look really good in the evening. The only problem was that for some reason they were not working, they were in a chain so, I tried other bulbs to see if it was any better, the new bulbs worked but the coloured bulbs were being stubborn bastards. So I thought maybe I should see if a coloured bulb would work inside, I took the bulb and put it in to one of the rooms, as I put turned the light on I could see that shining glow of yellow, the image of success for about a second then the bulb blew, and there was only darkness, not just in the room but I fucked the electricity in the whole building. It was bad timing as the center was full of young people listening to decks, going on the computer and even the boss was in the middle of having her nails done. Its another thing to add to the list of fuck ups and mistakes Ive done at a job (not this one, but just in general) Most fuck ups and mistakes were probably in the bar that i worked in for two years, but they never got mad if anything I think they encouraged that type of behaviour, and I have to respect any job that wouldn't mind employees flashing their pants at other employees in the wine cellar, Mouthing off to policemen, uncomfortable encounters with Frank Bruno and being on the whole a bit of a lazy twat but thats whole different blog altogether.
The fuse box was the tricky part located in a separate building next door, completely pitch black in a warehouse type building with obstacles all over the floor and even a spiral stairway which has no banister and a drop that can be easily mistaken for a black hole. It was so eerie walking down the stair case with a candle as our only light to reach the fuse box looked like a scene from a 30's horror movie.

In the end everything worked out fine, the electric came back on, and I got to share my Potato salad with the good people of Latvia, Ill just be staying away from any electric goods for a while., and stick with books............................I just hope I dont get any paper cuts catastrophes.

I would like to Dedicate this Blog to My Latvian television


Latvian TV
08/10/09- 17-11-09

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru