sestdiena, 2010. gada 27. februāris

I was looking for a job.....I found a job....heaven knows Im adequte now

Last week me and Thibault were accompanied with a visitor. One of the ex EVS volunteers came back to visit Latvia and stayed at the flat. It was really nice having someone else at the apartment. For me it was nice to hear people talking and having a conversation without being one of the people involved (Thibaut doesn't really like a lot of company at the flat and if I do hear talking then its usually Thibaut talking to himself.....which he does an awful lot). It was nice to talk to someone who has experienced the things which I'm experiencing right now and I was even able to get a few tips...One of the biggest ones was how to improve my Latvian and the answer was.......volunteer at the local nursery. As I have done nursery work in England and a little in India I felt that it was brilliant idea....as I have never found that type of work as work. This may be because I still have a lot of growing up to do...but come on why decide to work in an office all day, go to a job from nine to five, having to wear a tie or worse, when you could be helping kids paint or play with plasticine or reading stories.....you do need to be creative and at times patient but other than that its one of the best jobs Ive ever had (though I haven't been a paid musician or director or blog writer.....yet).
Plus its one of of the jobs Ive ever been good at
* Waiter - only kept on as it was my grandparents restaurant...however was demoted to dishwasher
* working at a bakery's- sacked because I couldn't make a sandwich to their standards after 5 weeks..a thing that my closest friend still wont forget or remind me often
* Telephone salesmen- sacked on my first day and also the day that the aforementioned friend got promoted
* shop assistant- got the job as my friends already worked there and convinced the manger at the time....lasted a while, god knows that they had enough excuses, but I was good for morale...fact
* barman- fantastic laugh yet not enough hours in the summer...somehow tricked my way to supervisor position.
I believe that for me the future is in volunteering which im reasonably adequate at.

back to the story.....now I went to the nursery with Margaretha and she talked to the headteacher for me to start and go every Thursday working with four year olds.
Now she wasnt wrong about learning Latvian because if i don't learn some stuff soon then the kids will run riot....sentences I need to learn
stop hitting
speak slowly
don't fight
stop laughing at me
put the gun down

The kids were a little frightened at first but it was ok as were all going to a puppet show in the main hall. All I can say is thank fuck I was well rested because that was the most trippy thing I have ever seen...erie looking puppets of animals hanging about in the woods....a dog playing the harpsichord and a lady fox dressing up as mrs Santa cluas...at the end the puppeteers completely broke the fourth wall by coming out of their hiding positions to say goodbye......rubbish, I saw their lips move...but the children seemed to love it.
Later on we all went outside to play in the snow...I heard a few of the kids talking and conspiring and then one shouting hey English, I turned around and .....THUMP ...snowball in the face (well it was more like a shard of Ice)
however even though their was slight trouble with the language I had a great time and Im looking forward to going back in a couple of weeks......because next week Im off to Estonia with a friend from England...and I going to drink and become happy in a haze of a drunken hour ...see you around readers.

1 komentārs:

  1. ex EVS volunteers Elke form Belgium will come to Gulbene in may, she asked me to find out your email.. maybe you can write her if its possible if she could stay at your flat for some days(she will come to Gulbene in may)? :)
    here are hers email-elkedelbare@msn.com

    greetings.
    I liked this article about Margaret
    s.

    AtbildētDzēst